Preparing for the birthing experience is helpful before heading to the hospital.
Your labour experience is very important to us. The Sinai Health team has created a list of items you should bring to the hospital.
The Sinai Shop carries many of these items and allows you to create a gift registry. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
- Your Ontario Health Card
- A favorite pillow with colourful pillow case and breastfeeding pillow if you have one
- Labour support items such as massage oil, massage tools or tennis ball, physical therapy ball, hot/cold packs, a picture or object for focal point
- Fan (hand held or small battery operated)
- Easy to digest snacks, popsicles, drinks and/or electrolyte replacement drinks (can make into ice cubes) packed in soft-sided cooler pack
- Copy of your birthing plan (speak to your doctor about creating one together)
- Comfortable clothing for hospital stay — night gowns or pajamas, bathrobe, slippers, socks
- Loose fitting clothes to go home in
- Nursing bra and breast pads
- Underwear or disposable underwear — four to five maternity
- Sanitary napkins — 20 maxi overnights
- Toiletries — lip balm, soap, shampoo, tooth paste, tooth brush, emery board etc.
- Hair brush/comb, elastics, clips and/or hair band for long hair
- Glasses and contact lens care items, if needed
- Watershoes and a bathmat if you want to use the tub
- Pens, pencils, note paper
- Change for vending machines
- Phone charger
- Credit card
- List of phone numbers of family and friends
- Snacks and drinks
- Watch with second hand
- Camera, batteries, memory card
- Change of clothes and comfortable shoes
- Pajamas or lounge wear if staying overnight on postpartum unit
- Phone charger
- Diapers — 20 disposable size newborn
- Baby wipes
- Petroleum jelly/Vaseline
- Infant Emery board
- Cotton hat
- Baby sleepers
- Clothes for going home
- CSA certified car seat secured in car (need car seat for discharge if driving home). If you wish to receive feedback on placing your baby into the car seat, you may bring it to the room.
- Receiving blankets to line car seat to ensure snug fit as well as for the baby